Yes yes yes yes yes....that moment when I, your loyal Otto, spends 45 minutes racking my brains trying to think of some decent questions and you don't bother writing in with your wild guesses because of the shame you feel in knowing NOTHING about Latin America (or translated into Spanish, Latinoamerica).
So I'm going to make it a touch easier this week; we're going for a multiple choice format. You'll get ten (YES TEN!) questions and four (YES FOUR!) alternative answers for under each one. Just pick the letter you think is right, and when you've got 'em all pop your answers on a postcard and send them to:
3rd Cubicle on the Left,
St Paul International Airport,
Or alternatively, use the old e-mail to otto.rock1 (AT) gmail (DOT) com. The answers will be published here on Wednesday 2nd April 2008, so you have until then to cogitate and cud-chew over it all. And the prize? Oh my stars we got a good one for you this week, cos first prize is a night out with Andres Oppenheimer, where you get the chance to hear what he thinks about Hugo Chávez, and Hugo Chávez, and Hugo Chávez and ...well.....like...errr......more Chávez.......and more Chávez.....and like...errr...more Chávez.....dude.Wowsers! Six op-ed pieces on Chávez in March either means that there's absolutely nothing else going on in the whole of Latin America or that Oppy dude is getting a serious mancrush on for the Caracas boy. YOU BE THE JUDGE.
Ok Ok, no more flimflam and on with the show. ¡Buena suerte!
1) Which of these Latin American heads of state has NOT spent time in jail?
a) Rafael Correa
b) Michelle Bachelet
c) Lula da Silva
d) Evo Morales
2) In which country is Latin America's biggest gold mine?
3) Which country has the biggest single iron ore deposit in Latin America?
4) How many people were killed in road traffic accidents in Argentina in the four weeks March 1st to March 28th 2008?
5) What percentage of Peru's population is below the poverty line, according to official gov't figures?
6) What approximate percentage of Venezuela's GDP comes directly from oil?
7) This chart (click to enlarge)......
8) Who is the worst Finance Minister in Latin America*?
a) Martin Lousteau
b) Martin Lousteau
c) Martin Lousteau
d) Martin Lousteau
9) Which country's coat of arms does NOT include a condor?
10) Approximately what percentage of Chile's total electricity supply (industrial, domestic, the whole works) does state copper company CODELCO use?
I'll be scouring my inbox every day til Wednesday, eager for your replies. Toodle pip!
*I'm assuming the word "is" will still apply when the answers are published Wednesday