- The accident happened at 03:40am, the early hours of Friday morning.
- The worker suffered a fall, but did not die immediately and was helped by his work-mate who contacted the mine head supervisor.
- The management at the GORO mine refused to enter the mine in order to give first aid.
- The management also failed to do their obligatory duty by refusing to contact local authorities and report the incident.
- By 9am, word had got round the workforce of the accident and the family of the victim arrived at the mine. They were refused access and were told nothing.
- The family eventually forced their way into the mine and demanded answers.
- At that point the GORO mine management organized a rescue party and entered the mine, only to find the worker had died of asphyxia.
The Daily IKN email digest, get all daily posts sent to you next day (& no ads)
And this report may explain why. According to locals at the scene:
Dear shareholders of GORO, this is the level of people you are sponsoring with your money.